Wednesday, May 16, 2007

AZ Update

WOW! What a few days! So on Sunday it was my first time to preach. I had about 30 people there. I was really nervous but they told me that I had a good translator. But she only lasted about 5 min--she didnt know enough English to translate. So between about 4 people translating and helping each other out, I kept going. Then about 15 minutes into the sermon this dead drunk dude runs up and starts yelling: "Lady! Why dont you speak in Spanish!!" He also was running around the church yelling horrid things in spanish (or so I was told) to all the church members. I just raised my voice and kept preaching while the pastor wrestled him outside. But he didnt stay outside! He came back in and began running around again yelling and causing a huge disruption. Some of the visitors began to walk out and I began to worry. I guess the pastor was worried cuz he thought the guy had a knife. So about four church members carried him outside. But he came in again! It wasnt until the pastors daughter (who was doing the majority of the translating) yelled "Shut up!" to him that he sat down and was quiet! So that was my first night... whew!

So the next night we almost got hit by a REALLY drunk driver who was driving backwards all over the 7 lane freeway and almost hit us. But we got there safe, and I had an EXCELLENT translator. She was SO good! The meeting went great!

So yesterday I woke up with the worse sore throat I have ever had-- I mean it was horrid!!! I couldnt talk or anything. Nothing I used managed to make it go away! So everyone was praying like crazy. About 20 minutes before I was to get up and preach my sore throat went away! I was so happy--but I was still running 102 degrees fever too. But I had 4 people decide to be baptized! I was so happy!!!

Today the moral in the group is down-- four of our team members almost ran off with the rented cars and wanted to go to CA and leave the whole preaching thing--people are upset with each other, and stuff. People are mad at the conference, mad at each other, mad at the program, etc. But I am reminded of the disciples, how they argued about who was the greatest, and who would sit on the right side of Jesus in heaven, etc. Jesus knew that Judas was going to betray Him, and He knew that Peter would deny Him. But Jesus never gave up! And God used these normal, every day fisher men to win souls. If God can use Peter, He can surely use me too!

No comments: